by Jacob Alvarado
Reedley High School performed Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory this spring. We’ve included some wonderful photos from that great show with this remembrance from the actor who played Charlie, Jacob Alvarado, of his time being involved with RHS Drama. There are also a few photos of other shows that Jacob has been involved in through the years such as Annie Get Your Gun, Virgil’s Wedding and a special Christmas Cabaret.
Life is a show, and theatre is the breath that we actors need to live. For teenagers at Reedley High School, the PAT (Performing Arts Theatre) is a place where we are transported to a world of make-believe. The RHS Drama Club is always surprising us with great shows. The high school just finished a run of Willy Wonka, based on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the beloved children’s book that showed us how to use pure imagination to make our dreams come true.
The arts have always been a highlight of my time at Reedley High School. Doing drama in high school has changed so many people’s lives. I know it has changed mine. The plays have given me a reason to shine and let my talents be shown. It’s like we have a miniature Broadway just downtown. I hope to see many more brilliant shows on the PAT stage in the future.
- Willy Wonka/Candy Man — James Tasy
- Charlie Bucket — Jacob Alvarado
- Mrs. Jopeck/Factory Worker — Erika Candelas
- Mrs. Bucket — Stacie Hall
- Grandpa Joe — Jesus Chapa
- Grandma Josephine — Jesikah Chafa
- Grandma Georgina — Megan Turner
- Reporter — Michael Angel
- Augustus Gloop — James Clark
- Mrs. Gloop — Samatha McMilin
- Slugworth — Nate Sano
- Veruca Salt — Jessica Ham
- Mr. Salt — Christopher Santos
- Mike TeaVee — D.J. Reimer
- Ms. TeaVee — Gloria Garcia
- Violet Beauregarde — Courtney Jones
- Mr. Beauregarde — Jeff Lusk
The Reedley High Drama Club has been going strong since 1986, when RHS finally offered a drama class after petitions and the previous year’s student production of Guys and Dolls.