by Lorie Lewis Ham
The past two years have been hard for everyone so I hesitated to write this post, but have been encouraged by others to do so. So I am going to let our wonderful and loyal readers and listeners know what is up here at KRL, as I feel like you are a part of the KRL family. We couldn’t do any of this without you!
KRL and Mysteryrat’s Maze have always been a labor of love—everyone involved does so on a volunteer basis. We have made enough these past 12 years to cover our business expenses, but not much more than that. However, due to some financial setbacks (if anyone would like more details feel free to email me I just didn’t want to bother everyone with all that here kingsriverlife@gmail[dot]com), we find ourselves in a situation where we really need to increase that income, at least on a temporary basis, if at all possible. Thanks to the great response to our recent ad special, and some recent donations, our needs are met until at least June.
I am currently trying to find a new day job that is flexible enough that it allows me to continue to devote the time needed to KRL, the podcast, and my own writing, and to be able to continue to give you all as much great content as possible. However, my ideal would be to get enough support through our Patreon that I would be able to continue to give all of my attention and time to these creative projects. For those reading this who are patrons already, I thank you so much for your support!
Today I am asking, if you are able, if you would consider helping us out a bit. And for those who can’t help financially, there are things you can do to help as well. But please, I don’t want anyone to feel obligated to do anything more than just continue to enjoy the content we create, because that is why we do it! But, if you can help, it will help me be able to continue to give you more. I have some amazing new things brewing that I would love to be able to do for you on top of what we are doing now.
However, be rest assured that no matter what happens, KRL and the podcast aren’t going anywhere and they will ALWAYS be free—there may just have to be less of it, depending on what job I might find, as I may then have less time to give if I need to go back to a day job.
HERE IS HOW YOU CAN HELP
First off, things you can do that cost nothing and are just as important. Help spread the word about the magazine, the podcast (ratings and reviews there are great too), and my books. The more people that know and become readers/listeners, the more people there may be out there that are able to help, and the more people will learn about the different animal rescues, arts, charities, and books that we write about.
Next, here are a few things you can do financially to help out, if you are able. Again, please don’t feel any obligation, I know many of you are struggling too—it is my true hope that you get joy from all of our creative endeavors that help make your days brighter.
1. Our wonderful friends at Untreed Reads have added KRL as one of the places people can donate to via their purchase of Happiness is Listening to Your Dog Snore directly from Untreed. For every paperback sold of this book through their website where the customer enters code KRL at checkout, they will send us $2. And you will get a book perfect for any dog lover! Here is the link for that untreedreads.com/product/happiness-is-listening-to-your-dog-snore-paperback-by-sandra-murphy
2. Something else you can do, and get something fun in return, is to buy something from our Redbubble shop! We have merchandise for KRL, the podcast, and my book (One of Us). Just click here.
3. We are also an Amazon Associate so if you are purchasing something from Amazon and click through one of our links (they are at the bottom of book reviews, and on our home page), we get a little bit out of that—that income is typically used to buy office supplies and such.
4. One of the best ways to support us is through our Patreon. For those who don’t know what that is, you set up to donate a specific amount of money per month and you get special perks in return. It can be as little as $1 a month up to $10 a month. And if you think $1 doesn’t make a difference, keep in mind that if a hundred people would give $1 a month that would be $100! So everything counts. For $1 a month, you get extra content—right now that is a post once a month where I share about books that I have read but didn’t review in KRL, but depending on where life takes us, I am hoping to eventually offer more. Each level has more perks. So please check out our Patreon at www.patreon.com/kingsriverlife Oh and you can cancel any time, so if your situation changes you aren’t stuck donating for any specific amount of time. I would really love to see this grow!
5. Lastly, you can also make a one-time donation to KRL/Mysteryrat’s Maze through Paypal.
Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and thank you for being one of our readers and listeners—I hope you continue to enjoy our content, and I hope what we create brings you joy!
And remember, no matter what we will still be there, just the more support we can get, the more we are able to be able to give back to you!
I am posting this on both KRL and KRL News to be sure all of our email subscribers get to see it! So I apologize for the doubling up if you get both.
Disclosure: This post contains links to an affiliate program, for which we receive a few cents if you make purchases. KRL also receives free copies of most of the books that it reviews, that are provided in exchange for an honest review of the book.