by Jesus Ibarra
After an uneven season 4 that left a lot people sort of cold on True Blood, season 5 returns Sunday June 10 with us picking up where we left off last year. I feel that enough time has passed to make me forget some of the worst parts of season 4 and get excited for some of the prospects of season 5. Be forewarned there are massive spoilers here on past seasons of True Blood.
1. The trailers have been amazing. Which is to be expected. True Blood year after year hooks you in with a genius advertising campaign led by amazingly cut trailers that leave you hungering for more. With glimpses of the sex, violence, and twists to come, it is hard not to get excited.
2. Christopher Meloni is back on TV on HBO nonetheless and as a vampire in power. When Chrisopher Meloni decided to leave Law & Order SVU last summer, I was incredibly sad, then the news broke that he was returning to his old stomping grounds at HBO. Most people don’t know this about the great actor, but he had a prominent role on the HBO show Oz, as a prison inmate. So it is exciting to see what they have in store for him now that he is a vampire who plays a prominent role in this year’s near civil war between the vampires.
3. Bill and Eric are getting their bromance on! This is probably the most exciting news and possibly my favorite storyline of this year. I love Eric, and I love Bill, and after last season’s declaration of them not being puppy dogs complete with killing former Authority vampires, well let’s just say I am excited to see them become the new Wilson & House. Especially since Sookie rejected both of them, they will no longer be pining over her, because frankly they have bigger problems.
4. Speaking of Sookie, she looks to be more independent this year not being tied to her vamp lovers. Although she still looks to be getting her faery mojo on and meets new faeries, Sookie seems to be handling her single status pretty well. Plus she seems more proactive about the dangers her faery status might get her into.
5. More Alcide and pack business. I also love Alcide the lone wolf, who has a thing for Sookie, and now that Debbie is dead and he is technically pack master now maybe he can finally get it on with Sookie. Because really it is a shame to waste this guy’s talent by sidelining him with old crap like they did in season 4 with Debbie Pelt.
6. There is also the return of the KING, Russell Edgington. Actor Denis O’Hare is back as our favorite spinning ripping out villain king who wants to kill all the humans and rule the world. I am so excited to see how our heroes try to take down the 2,000-year-old king.
7. And finally, the mysterious new villain who dug up the aforementioned king and who is nursing him to health. It will be interesting to see who this character is. Will it be an adaptation of a book character we haven’t seen or a made for TV only character like Jessica, either way we shall see with this Sunday’s premiere on HBO.